Have you read our most recent edition of Growing Orchids is Fun? The newest 29th edition has an entire new chapter on common orchid Pest and Diseases. The book is now available in both English and Spanish. The best thing to do is prevent orchid pests and diseases.
Prevent Pests and Diseases through Good Culture and Sanitation:
- Watering: Over wating is the single most cause of all orchid problems
- Spacing: Space far enough apart for good light and air circulation
- Fertilizer: Regular and properly fertilized plants grow stronger and bloom better. Healthy plants are less susceptible to fungus and bacteria.
- Keep growing area clean and free of dead leaves, flowers, and old potting media
- Remove dead plant material and media
- Re-pot with a Better-Gro Orchid Mix or Better-Gro Orchid Moss regularly
- Isolate and treat infected plants. Make sure to sterilize any cutting tools used with infested plants.
Do you have a question about a pest or disease? Our Facebook page is a great place to ask questions and let us help you with your orchids.